Monday, May 16, 2011

Finishing the Gratitude Journey

Saturday May 7, 2011 Blessing #365

I have been procrastinating. I just can't believe I've arrived at 365 blessings-and I'm sad to close a chapter.  There were several times during this year when I wished I hadn't taken this on.  It isn't like I'm a Mom with nothing to do--I mean, this wasn't about filling time.  I work full time, I have 3 kids, and I am on a tireless quest to be the best at everything. I just started a 2nd job.  So, I really didn't have time for a new project--but, I think this was my response to my most recent trip to Haiti.

After my first trip in 2007, I developed an entirely new relationship with food. I lost the ability to overeat.  The reaction manifested before I really understood what was happening, but in retrospect I think I get it.  I just felt that if I have access to health care and education-so that I know what my body needs and I can get it seen about when I'm sick, there is not excuse for me to have an unhealthy relationship with food.  The Haitians I worked with would love to know more about taking good care of themselves.  The least I can do is that put that knowledge to use!

So, after this last trip, I came home with an acute sense of just how good I've got it.  I knew that I needed to keep that awareness, even as I was swept back up in a busy lifestyle of excess.  This exercise--noticing and documenting a blessing everyday--was designed to help me do just that. And now, I am at the end of my year--and here's what I can report:


 1.  It was much easier to find blessings than I thought--even on the bad days.  Without this exercise, I wouldn't have noticed them, so I'm thankful to have developed this habit.



2.  This exercise fundamentally changed my approach to negative situations.  Instead of looking for something to complain about, or someone to blame--I forced myself to look for the positive in traffic jams, debt issues, and confrontations.


3.  This promoted fabulous conversations with my children-and they became my cheer leaders. "Mom, did you type your blessing today?"  It has been good that I have modeled the discipline of thankfulness for them.


Those are the top 3--I could go on.  So, I did it--and I'm proud that I saw it through.  Completing this exercise is my blessing for today.  I am a better person for it!  Now, go count YOUR blessings.  :-)

1 comment:

Amy S-J said...

Bravo Anna! Your doing this not only changed you, but your readers (especially me)! Finding others blessings can help you recognize one's own too! Thank you!