Friday, April 30, 2010

The Divine Spark

I see that some of my friends and family have perused my blog. I think it is great and terrifying-I am locked in now, and must write 363 more times about blessings in my life and in the world or I will fail to meet this expectation of myself in front of the world.

Already I see that this is harder than I thought. I have always considered myself very aware of goodness in my life, but I have missed so much! This exercise has me hunting for the blessings in the most trivial moments of my day. It will hopefully forever change my outlook on life.

Today it is simple. The other day I took a meal to friend who suddenly lost her husband. It is so hard to see friends hurt, and you wish you knew the right words to say but can't really, because there are no right words. But isn't the empathy that we are capable of marvelous? We can genuinely love a person and hurt when they hurt. Even mourning, while hard and lonely, is proof of the depth of our ability to truly love another human being. To me that is a bold, beautiful, and hopeful expression of the Divine spark in each of us.

Blessing #3, April 30th, 2010

I am so grateful that I have in me the capacity for love and empathy. It allows me to connect with others and to experience God in that connection. No where is this more obvious than with my husband--I am so lucky to have found him and I will work to remember on each of our days together that my love for him and time with him are gifts from God.

No comments: