Wednesday, November 24, 2010

NABT

Blessing #183, November 4, 2010

Well, I am just sick up here in Minneapolis.  My head is full of mucus-I feel like they are shooting one of those Mucinex commercials in my sinuses--video equipment and all.  What was going to be a last little get away for Trey and I before baby #3 arrives, just can't be as romantic as I'd hoped.  Well, we're making the best of it, and the conference is awesome.

Trey has a patient who used to live here, and he said we had to go to Key's Cafe for breakfast.  So this morning, before the first session, Trey and I bundled up and headed that way.  It was delicious--and a great walk.  This city is so clean, and pedestrian friendly.  After breakfast, I got to learn all about the current cancer research and Micro RNAs. The coolest part is that 10 years ago we didn't believe humans had these particular RNAs, and now we have learned that we have them and they are pivotal in directing the cell cycle.  Early signs are that they will provide new ways to screen for cancer and treat it.  My mother in law has just completed her last chemo treatment, so cancer research is pretty close to home for me right now--and I left that talk amazed at our ability to figure stuff out.

As if that wasn't enough-stuffy head and all, I got to see a new way to teach my kids about a Pulse Chase experiment, that they will love.  So, I'm sick, but I had a great breakfast with my husband and I am learning a mile a minute.  I am so grateful that I am here--that my school makes it possible, and that I am getting pumped up about seeing my students again.

No comments: