Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Kid or High Powered Executive?

Saturday February 12, 2011 Blessing #281

Trey was up early to run the Spartan 5K at Athens Academy--and I dropped Chip off to run the Spartan Sprint.  They both did great-they love to exercise, and that makes me so happy.  Chip went from the race to his last basketball practice.  He will finish that up this week--just in time to start spring soccer.  I know there are parents who believe children should be scheduled to the hilt.  They get nervous when there is a weeknight without a structured activity. Their kids seem like machines of productivity--like mini CEOs of the school yard and extracurriculars.

I am not one of those parents.  I believe children need to time to imagine, to play, to read--to be kids.  We limit Chip and will soon limit Katie to one sport and one fine art.  I love it that Chip loves to play piano. I love it that he loves to play soccer. I love it that he loves to be at home with no agenda or performance required.  That was the best part of today. He spent a little time practicing piano and practicing basketball--but he spent a lot of time hanging out with his family, enjoying his home, and exercising his imagination.  Oh, to be a kid!

No comments: