Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Wait up, Son!

I watched in amazement today as Chip LED me on a 10 mile bike ride around Jekyll. He even stopped along the way to read the historic markers about The Horton House and the ecology of the marsh and the dunes. Then he taught me all about those things. How and when did he become so fit, strong, and smart?

My Dad has said, "a great truth is that parents get slower as their children get faster." When he first said that to me, Chip was a toddler who had just discovered running-and for years it was the only speed he knew. I chased him everywhere. I remember thinking Daddy's words were pretty sad, but today I didn't feel sad at all. I felt proud that things were unfolding as they should be-even if it is a little bittersweet.

Blessing #92, July 28, 2010

I am thankful that Chip is strong, healthy, and happy. His self confidence is blossoming along with his desire for independence. Sure, it makes me nostalgic for those baby days, but I have a wonderful peace that things are unfolding as they should.

No comments: