Sunday, August 8, 2010

Big Trouble!

Oops!  We just returned from a weekend in Helen, GA and I didn't realize I wouldn't be able to do my blog.  So, I did it old school and have 3 blessings to report.  I did think about trying to post from Trey's iphone, but I just didn't brave it.

Friday August 6, 2010 Blessing #101

We stayed up till well after midnight laughing with our friends, Matt and Leslie.  We haven't seen them in 3 years, but we just picked right up.  Their little boy, Corbin, and Katie were instant best friends (Chip was at his cousins for a birthday party this weekend) which made our time together even more joyous.  Trey and Matt became best friends in college, and it is wonderful that they work to keep in touch.  Even cooler is that I enjoy Matt and Leslie so much.  Friends that remain friends across different chapters of life are a rare, precious find, and we are lucky to have these 2.


Saturday August 7, 2010 Blessing #102

Today we went to a festival in Sautee, GA.  I am always amazed by the people who pour into little towns for events like this.  My parents have a farm in Washington, GA and festivals, Holidays like "Mule Day", and battle reenactments are just part of life there.  Sautee felt very similar.  In fact, as I was standing by a booth where a lady was making dolls out of corn husks, I heard another customer say, "Well, you now every February I head to Washington-Wilkes and I love to show the kids there the corn husk dolls."  I'm sure there is festival in February celebrating the Battle of Kettle Creek (not my field, but I think it was a very important battle in the Revolutionary War). I got the feeling this woman traveled around to small town events.  Well, it was a blessing watching the demonstrations of age old techniques for spinning cotton and basket making.  It was special to eat in the deli that has been in business continuously since the 1800s, and to shop in the south's longest running general store.  We spent an afternoon watching the way things use to be, and I left with a richer perspective about the conveniences and vices of modern life.



Sunday August 8, 2010  Blessing #103

There is no place like home when all of my family is under this roof.  We have been busy and apart much of the last 2 weeks, and being together again feels fabulous.  It is as if the planets were out of alignment, and they have just moved back where they belong.  I am blessed that we have all had safe travels and I am grateful that we are all home.

No comments: