Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Couldn't be Easier

Some days the task of identifying a blessing and writing about it is tougher than others.  There are always blessings around me, but if my mind isn't in the right place they struggle in rising to the surface.  Then there are days when blessings are so rich and abundant, I wonder how I could ever be so lucky.  Today is the 2nd kind of day.

Earlier, I wrote of tough news.  We learned Friday that Trey's mom (Granna to the kids) has breast cancer.  It was shocking to us, because she is so formidable.  She doesn't have time to be sick, so she never is.  She is one of the bravest, most "in charge" people I have ever met.  I, nor anyone else, could imagine cancer having the audacity to challenge her.  It was a tough weekend, full of reminders that none of us is in control and each day is a gift. 

Now, Jane has taught nearly every one in the county-and if she hasn't taught them she taught their siblings or their parents.  Hundreds of former students, colleagues, and family members were praying and hoping with her today during her surgical procedure.  She had a double mastectomy and had lymph nodes removed.  She came through the surgery great and awoke to learn that her lymph tissue is clear of cancer.  It was the best possible outcome today, and when I heard I felt joyful relief and thanksgiving.

How easy is that for writing a blessing?

August 4, 2010 Blessing #99

I am thankful for the outcome today. I am blessed to be a part of Jane's family, and I love her dearly.  She gave me the gift of my husband, and she is a wonderful grandmother to my children and mother in law to me.

No comments: