Wednesday, August 11, 2010

"A dog has the soul of a philosopher"--- Plato

There's an article in the most recent Time about the intelligence of animals.  Seems there is more and more evidence that birds and mammals are smarter than we have ever imagined.  So, today, Katie and I were watching Beverly Hills Chiuaua (cleary brain food designed at promoting the practice of philosophy), and I was trying to stay awake when Katie said the most profound thing.  "Mom, people don't know  dogs can talk to each other because they are talking too loud to other people and can't hear them."  I find that pretty insightful-we probably are so focused on our species' "superiority" that we have been biased regarding what other animals can do.

Blessing #106, August 11, 2010

Today I am thankful for the wisdom and insight of a child. I think I forgot how much easier things were to understand when I was young.  I remember being confident that every being has a spark of the Divine and that Good always triumphed over evil.  Now things are ever so much more complicated with my experience, my reading, and and my rationalizing. It's become too easy to stop seeing the big picture.  Katie saw it today and she reminded me that I need to look for it.

No comments: