Friday, June 18, 2010

The Blessing of the Broken Blackberry

Well, my blackberry broke today. I will be phoneless until the insurance company ships me a new one. It didn't just die, but it perished in such a way that I may not be able to recover any data. I may have lost pictures, phone numbers, and my to do list!

During the school year this would result in a major panic attack. But now, I find that I am enjoying being out of touch. Being without the phone isn't a big deal, but potentially losing the data and being without internet in my pocket is giving me pause. I mean it is wild that I don't know people's phone numbers or emails anymore. I have almost forgotten how to check on the weather without pulling up that bookmark on my phone. It's not just me! People all over have stopped using real cameras, learning to read maps, or speaking to people because their phone does it all.

What strikes me is that the device seems to be designed to shrink the world and bring folks closer together. I believe it feeds some innate human need for community and connection. Yet, one day without mine, and I feel more connected to friends and community than ever. I had long converstations today with my neighbors, and I didn't need to divert my eyes to check a text, the time, an email, or a voice mail. I was really in the moment. I'm not saying I'm getting rid of it forever, but I am going to be more aware of its hold on me.

Blessing #52, June 18, 2010

Today I am thankful for a few days off from compulsively checking my phone. I have been reminded that what is most important is more likely what is happening in front of my face-than what is happening in cell phone cyberspace.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The telephone has trumped "face to face" for way too long! When the phone rings we break off conversation...we are not fully "with" our conversation partner any longer. It is sad.
Good lesson to learn.

Love:

Dad