Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Speaking of a Village-#50

Sometimes I'm lucky enough to come across a book that forces me to think about things in a new way. I am even luckier when I get to share that book with my students.

Yesterday I wrote about the importance of creating and nurturing a community. In a community, you know each other, you help each other, and you understand that your actions affect those around you. In my entry I referred to my community as "my village," and it reminded me of a perspective changing book. The book, If the World Were A Village, describes the world as village of 100 people. There are shocking facts about the number of those people who live without clean water, no electricty, and no food. It describes the number of chickens, languages, and computers per 100 people. It is a fascinating read, and it really hammers home that I have a priviledged existence.

Blessing #50, June 16, 2010

I can't believe I have hit 50 already. 50 days in a row of counting blessings. I wasn't sure I could make it this far. It was scary to start to write, however informally, but 50 is a pretty great milestone. Today, I am thankful for making it this far. I am thankful that I am a villager with clean water, food, shelter, and electricity.

No comments: