Friday, June 11, 2010

Football in Haiti

The first day of the World Cup seems like an appropriate time to reflect on the power of sport to unite and empower people. I learned so much about life from my time playing Basketball--teamwork, patience, how to win, how to lose, and that I have c@#p for knees. Seriously, I realize now that my time on a team shaped my character, taught me important lessons, and provided me an identity during the all too traumatic teen years. That identity kept me from making many bad decisions, succumbing to peer pressure, and doubting my self-worth. I wasn't the star player, but I mattered to the team.

St. Bartholomew's, the school where Trey and I visit in Haiti, just hosted their first ever inter-school tournament. We have watched for hours as the kids play soccer in the street, barefooted and kicking a makeshift ball. They have only dreamed of playing in a league or on a regulation field, but Esperance et Vie and Bethlehem Ministry are beginning to make it possible. Check out the link at:

http://esperanceetvie.blogspot.com/2010/05/ecole-st-barthelemy-hosts-first-ever.html

Blessing #45, June 11, 2010

I am thankful that in 5th grade my school had a "B" team for basketball. It allowed me to learn the basics. I am thankful I grew to be freakishly tall in middle school (It's all evened out now), and I'm thankful that when I changed schools in 8th grade, the coach saw me do a left-handed layup and had to have me on the team. I acknowledge that I am fortunate to have had opportunities to play organized sports at all, and I hope children the world over will be afforded the same chance.

No comments: