Sunday, June 27, 2010

Fun on Springtide Farm

Today we headed to my parents' farm. My 4 sisters and their families were all there and we set about celebrating Fathers' Day with my Dad, my sister Jean's 40th birthday, Trey's 35th birthday, and my neice Molly's 18th birthday.

We started with a scarecrow building contest (we won Funniest Scarecrow, Jean took home Gold) and finished with a delicious meal featuring tamales made with Springtide Farms chicken and cobbler made with Springtide blackberries. Of course, it was all gluten free-have I mentioned that my entire family is gluten sensitive?

Anyway, it was a great day full of good food, laughter, and thanksgiving. It is so special that all the grandkids want to check on their row of corn, potato patch, tree, or chicken. They may be a little late on the mall thing, but they are learning great lessons about where food comes from and caring for the earth.

Blessing #61, June 27, 2010

Today I am thankful that my children are experiencing an organic farm. They plant, water, and tend a new crop everytime they visit my parents. They wake up early to help Mom and Dad feed the chickens and soon they will be watching Tink's 100% grass fed cows graze. (Hey Conyers and Athens folks, check out her website http://www.tinksbeef.com/ as there are retail locations near you) I am afraid that too many young people believe food comes from McDonald's or Kroger. Why would children value the Earth if they don't understand it all starts there?

PS: There is a chance I will be away from internet for the next several days. Trey and I are leaving the country. (If you are a crazy stalker or robber, know that we have an alarm, a housesitter, and a very large dog) However, I will make every effort to continue my blogs. Worst case scenario I will write them out and type and post when we get home!)

No comments: