Thursday, June 24, 2010

Dance Party

Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one.
- Stella Adler

Last night, Chip, Katie, and myself had an all out dance party to Madonna's Immaculate Collection. We were grooving pretty wildly, and I was lip syncing into my hairbrush. It was so much fun, but I am thankful it wasn't caught on video. I am afraid it would have been quite the You Tube sensation, and not in a good way.

Sometimes, I find I have to sing or dance or both. Please understand, there is no technique and very little rhythm, but my emotions require these expressive outlets. I believe responding to life through song, movement, and creation is essential to all humanity. This became clear to me in Haiti. In the village of Terrier Rouge, I watched hungry, sick people drum, sing, and dance. Not a one had been to a dance school-a luxury many in this country enjoy-but their movements and voices were so authentic and beautiful. You couldn't see where their soul stopped and their movement began.

Blessing #58, June 24, 2010

Today, Chip attended his piano lesson. Katie wowed me with a dance routine she made up during dinner. Tonight the family enjoyed catching up with So you Think you can Dance on our DVR. I am already looking forward to seeing my students shine in our fall and spring drama productions. The arts are so important to our society, and I am tremendously grateful that my family is able to study and enjoy them.

No comments: