Saturday, June 26, 2010

Vacation in the Pages of a Book

We were up early today to attend a birthday party, shop at Sam's, and get home in time to watch the World Cup. Those three events hardly amount to an entire day, but it is safe to say that I only accomplished one additional thing. I started and completed the 4th Sookie Stackhouse book.

These books are riddled with supernatural beings, mystery, and romance. Vampires and a telepath play the key roles, and I would say they are R-rated books compared to the Twilight Series that my students love so much. Vampires for grown ups, I guess you could say. I am usually reading books pertaining to biology or teaching or some combination thereof, but this series has been the most wonderful summer escape.

I felt I had no choice today but to keep reading. It has been while, maybe since I first discovered Jason Bourne in Ludlum's books back in high school, that I have been so thoroughly engrossed in a novel. When I finally finished the book today, I felt like I'd been on a crazy adventure. I am tired from all the battles and emotional upheavals in Sookie's life. And, I can't wait to read more!



Blessing #60, June 26, 2010

Today I am thankful that I can read and I am thankful for the imagination of Charlaine Harris. I became so engrossed in her literary world today, that I took a vacation from reality. It felt like a honest to goodness, leave the premises and my worries behind holiday. How awesome that I had a vacation and all it cost me was a borrowed paperback.

No comments: