Thursday, June 3, 2010

Mama Mia meets The Color Purple meets Legally Blonde?

There are some special moments I get to relish in because I am a teacher. Several have happened in the last few days. I've just gotten home from an evening at the Classic Center, where one of my students was awarded a scholarship to continue her study of the arts. My husband and I were invited to be there to represent the school. What an evening! First of all, it was a 5 course, delicious meal and tasted even better because I didn't have to cut anyone's steak. Secondly, in between courses we were entertained with amazing performances from the 3 scholarship winners and the Oconee Youth Players. We were treated to a preview of upcoming shows (hence the title) at the Classic Center Theater, and it is going to be a great season! It was a wonderful night out for my husband and me, and seeing the young people excelling in and enjoying the arts reminded me how fortunate we are to be able to explore artistic expression in this country.


Also this week, a student of mine who was with me in Haiti brought me a new book to read. There is something very powerful about the child providing the teacher with reading material. It shows tremendous maturity on the part of the student, and I think signifies the beginning of the shift from student to lifelong learner. The book is about a woman's experiences in Haiti, and from what I've read so far, resonates very closely with my own exprience. It seems like reading the book will be cathartic for me and help me make sense of what I feel each time I return to the States.



Blessing 37 June 3, 2010

I am blessed that I get to see young people shine and watch them mature over the years. I am grateful when I see young people move from being the student who only takes from the learning environment to being one who contributes to it.

No comments: