Friday, May 21, 2010

Honors Day

I have only got a few minutes to write. I just got home from school, am headed to dinner, and then back to school to chaperon the movie night benifitting Relay for Life. I figure I won't get home until midnight, so if I'm to stick to my pledge I'd better do it now.

It is the time of year where I work frantically to get the papers graded and exams written, so I'm a little more tired than usual. Everyone in the school community gets a bit on edge at the end of the school. Fatigue, stress, and deadlines all contribute to our frayedness (hmm, is this a word? If not, it should be!).

Today there was a brightspot, a moment when all of the hard work from the year felt worth it. We held our annual Honors Day, and students were recognized for their acheivements in academics, service, athletics, and the fine arts. I work with incredible young people, and this ceremony reminds me each year just how lucky I am. It is so rewarding and so precious to be able to watch your students grow into leaders and scholars.

Blessing #24, May 21, 2010

I am thankful that my students and children have access to education. I am thankful that I had that same access, and realize that countless good things in my life are present because of it. I am grateful for the amazing students with whom I work, and I feel blessed beyond measure to work in this profession.

No comments: