Friday, May 14, 2010

The Friday Night Syndrome

When I was a teenager, I remember hearing kids talk during school about plans for the weekend. By Thursday, we had passed enough notes (pre-texting, obviously) for the events to get worked out. What were we going to do? Who was invited? Where would we hang out? Before the weekend rolled around we had answered all these questions. Looking back, I'm not sure how I managed to learn anything other than the rules for navigating the social order.

So, with my weekend agenda cemented, I would head home and start working on my parents. Of course, they didn't really listen until I had mowed the front yard, vacuumed the pool, and cleaned the kitchen (Boy did I hate that, but it will show up as a blessing of its own later). But when they did listen, my Dad would shake his head and say, "Don't you know you don't have to go somewhere just because it is Friday night? We are not falling into that pattern." I bucked him all through high school on this issue, and I won sometimes. When I didn't, I ended up having a fabulous time playing Scrabble, Pictionary or Trivial Pursuit with my parents and siblings. Or, I just curled up with a book and enjoyed some quiet time. Now, I have to admit my Dad was right. I have found that Friday nights at home with my family are almost as good as it gets.

That's right, I said almost. Tonight, I saw something even better. I served as one of the chaperons at the local homeless shelter where a group of our students gathered to prepare and serve food. For many of them, this is an activity they engage in nearly every Friday night. It is amazing how they have taken ownership of the project. They knew where all the utensils were, how to work the oven, and which residents used which dishes. They had gathered all the ingredients, prepared the meal, and cleaned up after themselves. I work with teenagers all day, and I can assure you that just that much is a miracle. When I tell you that they did all this because they wanted to and they were smiling and laughing all the while, it becomes too good to be true. But it was true. And it will be true again next Friday. That's a Friday night pattern worth falling into.

Blessing #17, May 14, 2010

Today I am thankful that there are young people who are givers. These kids see a hurt or a wrong and don't just want to fix it, but work to fix it. What a fabulous example for the rest of us-who are often too busy, too tired, or too disillusioned to serve.

No comments: