Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Leave the Tube and Shut the Box!

I think most Moms and Dads struggle with managing childrens' attraction to "screens". Chip, and increasingly Katie, always want to play Wii, watch Cartoon Network, or play a computer game. They have to ask first, and they only get to play 15 to 20 minutes at a time. This everything in moderation approach works for the most part, but we do have an issue with Chip begging for more time in between Wii sessions. It's as if when he isn't parked in front of a screen he isn't sure what to do.

Lately, I have begun to hear from him the dreaded words, "I'm bored", especially when I have said no to cartoons or a video game. It would be hard to find two words that make me as upset as these do. My parents used to tell me that "Only boring people get bored," and I hated the comment everytime. And now, cliche I know, but I am using it myself. Usually, when my children are begging for TV, I tell them to go dress up, imagine something, write a song, count things, etc. Sometimes I will stop and play a board game or do a puzzle with them, but I can't do that always. Sometimes I have to call in reinforcements. Today I am especially thankful for one in particular.

Santa brought this game, Double Shutter, to our house last Christmas, and even 5 months later it is a huge hit. It is a game the kids can play solo, and they love it. There are no buttons, batteries, or flashing lights. It is just tiles with numbers and a pair of die. Chip and Katie will sit alone or together and play this game for hours. As a bonus, Chip is practicing his math facts the whole time. Trey and I love it, too. I think it might be the perfect game because of its simplicity and versatility. And did I mention, I don't have to buy batteries? I am lucky Santa found this for our family. He's reminded all 4 of us that there is plenty of fun to be had away from the Tube.

Blessing #22, May 19, 2001


Today I am thankful for simple games and activities that remind us that there is fun to be had away from the screen. I am blessed with all the laughs we've shared working puzzles, playing games, and really focusing on one another.



No comments: