Sunday, May 30, 2010

Just Pick Right Up

I just got home from a whirlwind day. This morning, Chip and I taught the youth Sunday School class at our church. We shared photos and experiences from our most recent trip to Haiti. Then we were off to Alpharetta to my cousin Scott's home for my Grandmommy's 90th birthday party. That's right, 90. There was a houseful. Her 2 children (my Dad and Aunt), her 7 grandchildren, and 12 of her almost 20 great grandchildren. When the family is that big, that's about as close to perfect attendance as you can get.

What amazes me is that the last time I saw my cousins on my Dad's side was 7 years ago at my Granddad's funeral. We're pretty spread out, we all work hard, and we are busy having and raising children. It's just not easy to get together often. The kids wasted no time in finding and crashing the play room. Chip and Katie had played with 2 of their second cousins for an hour before they even learned their names. We swapped stories about siblings tormenting one another, we reminisced about camping trips with Grandmommy and Granddaddy, and we oohed and aahed over each other's children. The newest arrival, 3 weeks old on Thursday, was there, and we all fought over who would get to hold him next. It felt like we do this every Sunday.

Just after cake and ice cream, my Aunt Lynda presented Grandmommy with a scrapbook that we all contributed to. There were photos of babies from my Dad and Lynda all the way to the newest arrival. There were pictures of me at 5 at ballet recitals, artwork from the great grandchildren, and countless other moments captured on film. We all cried as we turned the pages, and saw so many happy memories.

Blessing #33, May 30, 2010


It is priceless that we share so many memories with our family. It doesn't matter how long it's been, we can just always pick right up, and move back into a wonderful familiarity. And to think, all of us owe our existence to the love my Grandparents shared. Those two people deciding to love each other and build a life together has forever altered the future. Looking around today it is pretty clear that their love for each other has grown exponentially and is coursing through all of us. I know Granddad is smiling today.

No comments: