Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Focusing on the Task

I've hit a wall tonight. I had a fabulous day, but nonetheless I am battling writers block this evening. It's the first time during this lofty endeavor that I've feared sitting at the computer and staring at the screen without being able to produce a single coherent, much less inspired, sentence. I think when I started this exercise over 2 weeks ago, I had avoided writing for so long that the words just poured out of me. In fact, this has been a very cathartic process for me, and I feel better in so many ways. However I should have known the words wouldn't flow so easily forever, so now the real work begins.

To overcome this hopefully temporary drought, I am going to focus on the task. While it may be hard to write, it is most certainly not hard to find a blessing. Today I got to see light bulbs go off in my students. In my 9th grade biology classes we are doing a fairly tedious lab investigating evolution. The exercise takes a couple of days, and the students get a bit frustrated in the beginning. But, today we were wrapping it up, and sure enough, one after another I saw the students making the "Aha" face. It is a face that as a teacher I work so hard for, and when I see it I feel fabulous. There is something magic about seeing young people learn, and that magic keeps me excited to go to work everyday.

The Blessing, #15, May 12, 2010

I am blessed with a career that is rewarding. It feels more like a calling than a job, in that I couldn't imagine myself doing anything else. I feel like I am in a position to make an impact on the world everyday, and that my work really matters to the future of my world. Thank God for my work.

No comments: