Sunday, May 23, 2010

The Best One we've Ever Had!

Our neighborhood "Kick off the Summer" pool party was this afternoon. We had a bounce house, hamburgers and hot dogs, and a pool full of kids. Chip and Katie were so excited, and we stayed at least 3 hours. It was great to reconnect with our neighbors and watch the children play.

When we got home, Daddy had already grilled the chicken, cooked the veggies, and set the table. We were all famished. It was the kind of hunger that only comes with playing in the sun and water. Chip took two or three bites of his chicken and said to Trey in his most emphatic voice, "Daddy, this is the best supper we have EVER had." Don't get me wrong, the dinner was great, but the best we've ever had? What I love about this moment is that Chip was so wrapped up in the sheer joy of filling his tummy that he didn't feel the need to compare one meal to another, think about what his friends might be having for supper, or wish for something more grand. He was focusing on blessings in a way that I am trying to train myself to do. Sometimes, I think I learn more from my children than I teach them.

Blessing #26, May 23, 2010

I am thankful for the lessons my children teach me. I am going to stop looking forward and backward for things to worry over, and I am going to start seeing the blessing in the moment.

No comments: