Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Exericise and Human Inventiveness

I love to exercise outside. I really don't enjoy gyms because they seem dirty and they are big on contracts. Leaving my last gym, I ended up having to pay for 2 months I didn't use because of some fine print about the day of notice. Also, in a college town, gyms are full of young adults with model perfect bodies, so it's not exactly a boost for this Mom's self-image. Meanwhile, being outside on a walk has the added bonus of providing time in the sunshine and making me feel great about myself and my place in the world. It is fabulous for my mood. I don't see how anything could be better than exercising outside on a beautiful day.

But when the weather is bad, or when I just can't get out for a walk because of the kids' schedules, this Wii fit is perfection. I've never had so much fun working out. In fact, I am convinced that this was invented by a busy mom who didn't want to hang out at the dirty gym with college girls in sports bras.




So, where's the blessing?

Blessing #8, May 5, 2010

Well, it is true that we create a lot of problems for ourselves as compulsive, work-a-holic, spend-a-holic, sit-a-holic folks, but I have to admire the inventiveness of our species. The Wii fit makes it easier for me to exercise and is more fun than I could have ever imagined. Some brilliant person has outdone themselves with this invention. This technology is engaging, novel, easy to navigate and a genuine good time. It can be a great workout, and I have found that it is a great supplement to my walks. I love how it tracks my progress and encourages me to keep up my activity level. At one point, I was a pretty competitive athlete, but those days are behind me, and the Wii allows me to compete with myself. My balance, posture, and my awareness of my body in space have improved as a result of the balance games, so I've gotten even more than just a cardio workout. My personal favorites on this--super hula hoop, the obstacle course, and the Advanced Step while I watch TV. So, today I am thankful that I have found this technology that allows me to be more flexible with my exercise schedule, and to genuinely look forward to it! So, to whoever invented it--thanks for keeping this mom active! If you have a Wii at your house, you might want to think about giving it a try!

1 comment:

Lawrence said...

Love the new background color;
reminds me, with fond memories, of my dad's faded old army duffel I used to take to scout camp.