Saturday, May 29, 2010

Paved Roads and Chocolate Syrup

I am at a loss tonight. There are plenty of things I am thankful for, but I can't seem to focus my mind on just one of them. I sat down at the computer 10 minutes ago to think about my blessings, and since then, I've reflected on paved roads, Ibuprofen, and chocolate syrup. I can offer no rhyme or reason for this sequence of thoughts. Sometimes, my mind races and I can't quiet it.

So, taking my frantic mind into my 32nd blessing before the deadline of 11:59pm is a bit of a challenge. But then again, the very idea that when I began to consider blessings, my mind overflowed with them may be all I need to get started.

It is true that since I've begun this exercise I am so much more aware of all for which I can be grateful. I never used to consider the roads I drive on as a luxury item. In Haiti, the transport of people and everyday materials can be a logistical nightmare. The lack of roads makes it nearly impossible to provide emergency transport-and even if you could drive somewhere fast, you wouldn't have the luxury of an ambulance when you needed one. We get angry in this country if the ambulance arrives more than 5 minutes after the phone call.

It seems silly to be thankful for Advil, but in Haiti it isn't easy to come by. I wouldn't know how to make it through a headache, back ache, or fever, without it. And I can get it with just a simple trip to Kroger, in bottles of 1000 caplets.

In rural Haiti children aren't sure what to do with a lollipop because they've never seen one. Today my children had ice cream sundaes,and enjoyed them until they had chocolate syrup mustaches.

I am seeing blessings in the most everyday, bland occurrences. That is a gift.


Blessing #32, May 29, 2010

I am blessed that this gratitude journey is bringing all these blessings to the surface. I am not sure what possessed me to say that I would do this for 365 days, but I am thankful for whatever it was. I have a feeling I won't ever look at the world the same way again.

No comments: