Saturday, May 22, 2010

Down Home

Some days it is just easier to find the blessing than others. Today is my Grandmommy's 90th birthday, and I got to spend it with her.

Blessing #25, May 22, 2010

My family headed out to my parents' farm, to meet my Mom and Dad, my younger sister, and Grandmommy. We fed the chickens, ate grass fed beef burgers, and sat in the new swing (Grandmommy's birthday present). I rocked on the front porch with Grandmommy, and watched my Mom and Katie try to catch butterflies and find interesting rocks. My husband, sister, Dad and Chip shot baskets on the dirt court, and I reflected on how much life there is in the world because of my Grandmother. She is healthy, wise, and happy, and I know that I am lucky, and my children are lucky, to have her. I have so many wonderful childhood memories of spending nights with her or camping with her. It seems too good to be true that I am still making them. What a blessing!

On a side note, it is worth mentioning how fabulous this exericse has been for my outlook. I don't know what I was thinking promising to do this everyday, but I am glad I did it. Looking for the blessing everyday, even on the bad ones, has proven to be a wonderful discipline. I am so much more aware of the riches in my life.

No comments: