Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Healthy, Happy Children

My children, Chip, 7 and Katie, 4, are a constant source of joy and worry. Last night, Chip matter-of-factly stated that he was the only 1st grade boy in his whole school who had not had the stomach virus. Katie chimed in with, "Oh, me too. I'm the only one in the preschool who hasn't had the throw-ups." This was clearly a point of pride for them, and neither wanted to be outdone by the other.

I said, "Great Job," and tried to stifle a foreboding groan. I hadn't realized that the stomach virus was going around at their school and promptly found myself with a new thing to worry over. Also, while I am a science teacher, I am not above feeling slightly superstitious that my children have just uttered the famous last words.

So, Blessing #7, on May 4, 2010 is two fold. #1, so far this school year, my children have not had the "throwups". #2, While I fear it is imminent given that they have bragged about being the only kids not to have had it, I realize that I will be able to seek treatment for them, and that it will not be an emergency. In Haiti, where I love to spend time, a bout with a stomach virus can, and often does, lead to dehydration and death. Here, we are a sterile needle and a bag of fluids away from helping our sick children feel better. So, I'm not going to let my fear about their contracting the stomach virus take up any more of my day. I am lucky to have healthy children, and I am lucky that when they are ill, I can get them what they need. That takes a big load off a mom.

No comments: