Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The Smart Goods

I just walked in the door from a study session at the coffee house with my students, and I almost forgot to log my blessing. The science exams are tomorrow, so the questions were coming pretty fast, and I am worn out! I was headed to bed, passed the computer, and remembered. The good news is that finding the blessing is easy today.

My students have quality textbooks and paper and pencils. I can show animations using my LCD projector. I have microscopes, posters, and models. These types of aid are invaluable to my teaching effort. If my explanation is lost on a student they can turn to another resource and understand. Even if they understand, often the supplementary materials take their understanding to a new level.

On my most recent trip to Haiti, the teachers begged me to bring them visual aids and science materials. They wanted to learn and be able to teach their students about the earthquake, and had no materials to help them. It is sobering to see teachers so committed to helping their students get educated with virtually none of the resources I take for granted. Tonight, I watched my students study their power point notes, highlight in their textbooks, and review animations of the photosynthesis. They've really got it good.

Blessing #29, May 26, 2010

After teaching in Haiti for a week, I came back to my classroom with a whole new appreciation for the materials I can use to augment instruction. I am thankful that most people in this country have access to at least some of these materials. The focus in the US on developing curricular materials means we have enough food, we have shelter, and we have time to focus on teaching the next generation. What a blessing.

No comments: