Sunday, May 9, 2010

I am a Promise, I am a Possibility

When I was about 5 years old, the minister of music at our church convinced my parents that I should sing a solo in front of the congregation. They still talk about it, and comment that the microphone was bigger than I was. I sang "I am a Promise"

Part of the chorus went like this:

"I am a promise, I am a possibility. I am a promise, with a capital P. I am a great big bundle of potentialilty."

I can still sing that song, and I know it has had a tremendous impact on my life. Now, I've found it again, and I'm going to teach it to my kids. I realize that the real power of the song was that my parents, especially my brilliant and accomplished mother, taught me to believe the words. I do struggle with self-doubt, but deep inside I believe, just as my Mom did, that I can do anything.

Blessing #12, May 8, 2010 Mother's Day

Today I am grateful that my Mother believed in me and loved me. I am grateful that she taught me that I can do and be anything I put my mind to, and I promise to never forget her faith in me. Her belief in me created countless possibilities for my life. God willing, I will give my children the same gift.



1 comment:

careystewart said...

What a special memory! I can remember singing this song in church with the Sonshine, Lyric, and Celebrate Choirs as a child, and I still love to hear it sung by sweet innocent voices in the house of the Lord. What a blessing such holy simplicity brings.

LOVE IT. AND YOU!
Carey :)