Thursday, January 6, 2011

After the Comma

Tuesday, January 4, 2011  Blessing #242

There are days when this is hard.  There are days I wish I'd never had this crazy idea to focus on finding and sharing blessings in my life.  And there are certainly days I wish I hadn't made this commitment so @#$% public--that cyberspace wasn't holding me accountable.

There is just so much to do, and I'm tired.  My house has been overhauled in the last few days--closets, bedrooms, drawers, the pantry--and pretty much everything else. I have graded 4 sets of ridiculously long exams (why do I make them so hard?). I have introduced 9th graders to the super coolness of photosynthesis--and convincing them it is super cool is not as easy as it sounds.  I have mommied the 2 children I have and worked hard growing a 3rd. Today the thought of sitting at the computer was just too much for me and my puffy feat...so it is a Wonder Woman Notebook Blessing kind of night.

Amidst all of this fatigue and these feelings of being overwhelmed, my son's joy and excitement are the blessing tonight.  At the dinner table he pipes up with, "Mom, we're going to have a comma!"  "I beg your pardon son, but what does that mean?"  He says, " You know we can't say Chip and Katie anymore. We have to say Chip, Katie, and Henslee! Hey, that's two commas!"

I suppose he is learning about punctuation (if you read regularly, you'll be aware that his mother is not teaching him!) in 2nd grade--but seeing him so enthusiastic about the addition to our family was precious.  And somehow, it was made even more special because he was  tying his lessons at school to his own life.  The teacher and the mommy in me couldn't be more pleased.  Thank God he is so positive and full of energy--it was just what I needed to snap out of my slump!

No comments: