Sunday, January 30, 2011

Salt Water

Sunday, January 30, 2011 Blessing #268

“Laughter and tears are meant to turn the wheels of the same machinery of sensibility; one is wind-power, and the other water-power; that is all” Oliver Wendell Holmes

I've had better days--we are so busy, and Trey and I feel overwhelmed. He's prepping to lead a trip of first-timers to Haiti, and I have just crossed into the VERY PREGNANT place--where I'm aching, awkward, and anxious.  So, this morning, I just let the water works go.  We stayed at a friend's beach house once and saw a pillow that said "Salt water is good for what ails you-whether you cry it, sweat it, or swim in it."  I believe it. 

There is a lot of emotional heaviness that goes with being a teacher, some more with being a mother, and some more with being a wife.  Throw sleepless nights and pregnancy hormones into the mix, and you've got a recipe for a good cry.  So where's the blessing?  How 'bout this:  Did you know scientists believe that crying lowers stress hormone levels and boosts immunity and improves mood?  Think about it--why else would evolution have selected for this uniquely human trait?  There must be a practical benefit to our health and wellness--and I bet this is at least part of it.

So, today I'm blessed to be able to cry--then see things in a new light.

No comments: