Friday, January 7, 2011

Life or Death?

January 7, 2011 Blessing #245

It is a better day...whatever little slump I was in has passed.  I slept much better last night and am looking forward to homemade waffles and eggs for dinner.  The weather is lovely--and I have already finished teaching for the day. I will probably head out in a few and walk the cross country course.  I have been able to walk everyday but Wednesday of this week-plus I was back in yoga on Tuesday.  Exercise makes everything better for me, and I couldn't get to it over the break.  It was too cold to force Chip to ride on his bike or for Katie to sit in the stroller.

Whenever I was going through a rough spot growing up--with friends, grades, sports, etc--my Mom would say, "This too shall pass."  It took me a long time to learn that lesson (everything feels life or death to a teenage girl), but she was right.  Very little of what we worry about actually comes to pass--and when we are in tough times, they don't last forever.  I'm so thankful that I can acknowledge the tough times-believe they will end, and then notice when they have passed. So, today, I'm thankful that my Mom shared that wisdom with me--and I am thankful for the adversity I have faced, which allowed me to learn that I can navigate it without it defining me.

No comments: