Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Crazy Faith: Ordinary People, Extraordinary Lives

January 2, 2011  Blessing #240

I think I have mentioned here how much I love it when my students bring me books.  There is something profound in the journey to lifelong learning happening when a student transitions to offering the teacher reading material. 

Anyway, I love to read, and I have actually been able to stay awake long enough at night to really get into this book which was given to me for Christmas by Carey, one of my very mature, very bright advisees.  It's not a tough read--it's broken into several short stories about individuals who have exhibited crazy faith and accomplished extraordinary things.

Read it!  It is very powerful picturing yourself in the stories of Nelson Mendela, Mother Teresa, and King David.  As I'm reading, I'm wondering, "What would I have done? Would I have maintained my faith?  Would I have looked for the Blessing or would I have given up?"  I don't always like the answers--but I sure am learning alot about myself.  I am thankful for this Christmas gift from Carey-thankful for the introspection it has spurred, and thankful that I can work toward being an Ordinary Person with an Extraordinary Life.

No comments: