Monday, December 6, 2010

Anaesthetizing Children in School?

December 6, 2010 blessing #213

I got an email this morning just as I began my planning period.  I was using the free period to prep a lesson for teaching a tough concept for 9th grade students-the concepts of osmosis and diffusion.  (I can hear you groan from here, but for those science educators reading-this is tough b/c one deals with movement of solute and the other with the movement of solvent.)

The email came from a colleague of mine over at UGA, Dr. Norm Thomson.  He is the one who originally got me listening to Sir Dr. Ken Robinson, a well known lecturer on creativity (or lack thereof) in our structures of education.  It is 11 minutes long-but extraordinarily thought provoking---and it was a great thing to watch as I was preparing a lesson for 9th graders.  My biggest fear is that they go through school, their lives, and my class anaesthetized-I want them awake! Awake to the marvels of the natural world and biology, and aware of their crucial role in the future of this planet.

Anyway, it was free, fascinating, thought provoking professional development-and any teacher will tell you that is rare.  It was just what I  needed to get geared up for another day of waging war against ignorance and apathy.  Give it a look.  You won't be sorry!

No comments: