Wednesday, December 1, 2010

And then, everything changed

November 17, 2010  Blessing #202

It is hard to believe that 8 years ago today, Chip was born.  I know that each child is special, but the day he was born is important for another reason.  That was the day I became a mother.  Everything changed in that instant-and I am only now able to fully appreciate the changes that took place.

Suddenly, another human being's welfare was more important than my own--and yet keeping myself alive and healthy to care for this child was important.  My Grandmother who had 4 kids used to say, "Once you become a mother you think twice about crossing the street."  I got it on the day 8 years ago.

It was also the day I gained a new appreciation for the miracles of life and a mother's love. I understood my Mom in a way I had never been able to before, and I began to look at the world through a mother's eyes. I noticed things for the first time; people driving too fast, young people making reckless decisions, educational policies that our squelching childrens' imaginations and our country's future, people abusing the environment my grandchildren will inhabit, and how much I have in common with mothers all over the world.

I am thankful for that precious, healthy little boy. I am thankful I am still alive to parent him-and I am thankful for the perspective motherhood has given me.

No comments: