Wednesday, December 1, 2010

The Colder the Weather, the Warmer the Home

Wednesday, December 1, 2010  Blessing #205

A few years ago my Mom bought an Nativity Advent Calendar for my family-it is 3D, hand painted, and each day there is a little door for the kids to open.  Early this morning, I stuffed it--not with anything fancy,  just knick knacks and candy to brighten their day.  It has become a favorite tradition of ours, and I love that it gets the kids excited about getting up in the morning.  I go in to wake them and they know they can't visit the calendar until they are dressed with shoes on and teeth brushed.  Normally, getting them up and dressed isn't easy--especially as we near the end of a semester and all of us are fatigued.  Today, they got Christmas tattoos-and they were so excited to wear them to school.  It was precious!

Anyway, each family has those little traditions that make the Holidays special-it is so neat to think that I am old enough to have a family that has traditions. How did this happen? 

The weather has turned colder all of a sudden, the Christmas decorations are up, the Advent Calendar is stuffed, and I love the warmth I feel in my home right now.  I couldn't wait to get home and cook tonight-to say the blessing with my family, and to read our Advent devotion.  I guess the cold weather and the miracle of this season make me more aware than usual of the gift I have in this family and in this home.  Truly, my cup runneth over with blessings.  Now, I just have to figure out how to stay focused on them-instead of the dust bunnies, piles of laundry, and financial worries.

No comments: