Saturday, December 4, 2010

German Brides

December 4, 2010  Blessing #211

Something so great happened this morning.  First of all, I was in my jammies till noon-which is fabulous!  While I was puttering around with the laundry and kitchen, I let Chip and Katie unpack all the ornaments and put them on hooks.  This is the first Christmas that could happen with me in another room, and it is the first Christmas the kids were so into the history behind all the ornaments.  "Is this one from when I was a baby?" or "Mommy, I made this one! Look!"  They were so excited, and they kept making these types of exclamations.  It was so fun.  Then, Chip found the card outlining the meaning behind each ornament in our German Bride's Collection.   The meanings are as follows:

Ornaments and Meaning



Angel: God’s guidance in the home


Bird: Happiness and joy


Fish: Christ’s blessing


Flower Basket: Good wishes


Fruit Basket: Generosity


Heart: True love


House: Shelter and protection


Pine Cone: Motherhood and fruitfulness


Rabbit: Hope and faith


Rose: Beauty and affection


Santa: Unselfishness and good will


Teapot: Hospitality


Back when Trey and I were engaged, his Mom (Granna) bought for us a set of these ornaments.  They weren't glass like the ones pictured here--but precious, handpainted , wooden ornaments, and each one represents a blessing for the home of the newlyweds. 

So, this morning, Chip found each one and explained to the rest of us what they stood for.  We had conversations about how we have experienced and are still experiencing each of these blessing in our home.  (I had to giggle when he asked what fruitfulness meant--given my current condition!) I knew when Granna gave us the set that it was special, but I couldn't have imagined how precious the moment was today when I got to talk with my children about generosity, hospitality, faith, hope, true love, and God's guidance. Even better--we'll get to have these conversations next year too!

So today, I'm thankful that Granna realized how special the set would become-and that our home is blessed beyond measure.  What a fabulous gift for bride and groom!

No comments: