Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Students and Teachers

November 29, 2010  Blessing #204

One of my students, Anne Lanier, was chosen as the Rotary student of the semester.  She was honored this morning at a Rotary breakfast at 7 am.  She got to pick a teacher to join her for breakfast and be recognized as the Rotary teacher of the semester, and she picked me.  I could go on and on about this young lady-she is bright, engaged, compassionate, and a natural leader.  Truly, she is one of those students who makes my job easy.  She has been in my Human Bio class, worked with me in Interact, and traveled with me to Haiti.  It has been my honor and good fortune to be her teacher. 

It was a wonderful morning--students from the 5 area high schools were recognized-I got to hear about all the wonderful things young people in our community are doing.  I got to hear those students  thank their teachers and acknowledge the importance of our work, and I got to visit with inspiring colleagues.  Trey had to change his schedule so I could attend-which meant I got to get up and leave the house before everyone else.  I don't remember the last time I just hopped in the car and drove off without thinking about whether the kids were buckled in, had enough protein on board for a productive day, had their teeth brushed, and their lunches packed. It was nice--but again, I missed them after mile 5.

So today I am thankful for a easy morning and a wonderful student.

No comments: