Wednesday, December 22, 2010

The Miracles of Science and Preventative Care

December 21, 2010 Blessing #228

A bit late, I guess, but yesterday was the first day I could get the kids to the Dr. for their well-child checks (Remember their birthdays were in October and November!).  It was lovely to see Dr. Glassman under those circumstances--even though I'm confident folks all the way in Atlanta could hear Katie's screams about the shot and the finger prick.  Even Chip went ahead and finished up his Hepatitis A series, since he got the first round last year before we took him to Haiti.  He was very brave and took his first to show Sis it would be alright.  She wasn't buying, but once that part was over, she recovered right away and couldn't wait to show Dr. Glassman how well she could see, hear, hop, and stand on her tip toes. They loved putting on the exam gowns, getting their blood pressure taken, and then showing off their new shiny bandaids.

We had a long discussion about their development, nutrition, and well being and he pronounced them both as healthy as horses.  Chip and Katie are long and lean-with BMIs of 15 and 12 respectively, growing like weeds in terms of height, and up to date on all their vaccines. As a reward for their bravery, we went  through the Wendy's drive thru on the way home, and got them both Kiddie size chocolate frostys.  Waiting in the line, I started thinking about how easy preventative care is for my children. I drove to the doctor, who was well stocked with all the vaccines recommended by CDC-they received their shots, and I didn't even have to pay a copay.

I have seen children around the world for whom preventative care is not available. Children--11 million a year--die from preventatable diseases--and included in those diseases are Measles, mumps, Rubella (can result in still born babies), Polio, diptheria, whooping cough, and tetanus. My kids are now fully immunized against all those.  Funny, how getting my children protected was feeling like one more thing to do--when I should be skipping into that office and skipping out!   Anyway, I'm thankful for access to preventative care for my family.

No comments: