Sunday, December 5, 2010

Supply, Demand, and Human Creativity

December 5, 2010 Blessing #212

When Trey and I first married, our favorite Saturday or Sunday morning breakfast was waffles right off the waffle iron with a side of fried eggs.  He loved them so much he asked for them for all his birthday breakfasts.  For several years, we kept that tradition going--and then discovered that I was gluten intolerant (along with everyone else in my extended family!)  So, we adopted new traditions--still eggs, gluten free toast, fresh fruit, and hot tea.

Anyway, tests for gluten allergies are becoming more reliable-and folks with this problem are falling out of the sky.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not excited that folks are having to deal with this, but the increase in numbers has brought about a demand for gluten free products that is fabulous, and will ultimately lead to decrease in cost for those of us who buy them.

Well, when I was doing my shopping for Thanksgiving, I found a new baking mix on the shelves--Bisquick is doing gluten free!  As far as gluten free goes--it isn't even that expensive!  The price here is for a pack of 3 boxes.  Ofourse, I bought it--came straight home, and made delicious biscuits.  Today, trying to use the eggs and buttermilk I bought for making dressing and cornbread--I decided to give the waffle recipe a try.  I couldn't imagine they would be as yummy as the ones we used to eat--but I was wrong!  Trey said, "best waffles I've ever eaten!" Chip ran up to me in the kitchen, hugged me, and said "Thank you, Mom!  These are sooooo good!"

So, if you know my house--you know that we bought it 6 years ago knowing we would have to redo everyroom.  We've made a lot of progress--and now that we are starting the bonus room for Henslee, all that remains in need of major overhaul is our bedroom and bath and the kitchen. Our room is awful--but since no one else sees it, what's the hurry?  The kitchen on the other hand?  It is ugly and it is the room where everyone congregates.  Floral wall paper from 1989, non matching appliances, ugly counter tops--I could go on.  But I won't--b/c everything in it works-and when there is something special and delicious cooking, no one notices how it looks.  They just notice how it feels.  And it feels warm and homey.  This morning it finally smelled like waffles on the waffle iron again--and I am so happy for the culinary genius who figured out how to make that happen for my family.

No comments: